Natural Tangerine And Neroli Christmas Soap
1) Two good sized stainless steel or enamelled saucepans.
2) One heat-proof glass measuring jug or plastic jug able to withstand boiling water.
3) Accurate kitchen scales.
4) Utensils for stirring etc. i.e. Wooden or stainless steel spoons, a balloon whisk or rubber/wooden spatular, or similar.
5) Two (preferably) cooking/brewing thermometers (although 1 can be used fairly successfully)
6) A mould to pour the liquid soap into whilst it sets. A wooden or cardboard tray or box lined with grease-proof paper or siliconised baking sheet is great. Silicone cake-baking moulds are also suitable, as are some other forms of plastic moulds such as 'tupperware' containers.
7) Eye and hand protection (safety glasses and rubber gloves).
8) A blanket or large towel.
12 oz (340g) of cold, clean water
125g of sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) beads or pearls
1lb (454g) olive oil (preferably pomace grade but virgin or extra virgin will do)
10oz (284g) coconut oil (hard variety)
6oz (170g) palm oil (hard variety)
Orange Liquid Soap Dye (a few drops is sufficient)
20ml essential oils (this blend uses 10ml Neroli (light) and 10ml Tangerine (another orange-type would work)
1/4 tsp Grapefruit seed extract OR vitamin E (optional preservative). Note... Grapefruit seed extract will speed up the time it takes for your soap to 'trace'.