Bicarbonate of Soda
There are many and varies uses for this humble product. To help you find the best uses that suit you, we've assembled these tips, hints and many suggested uses from other sources.
1. To make your own baking powder, stir and sift together two parts of Cream of Tartar to one part bicarbonate of soda and 1 part cornflour.
2. Be sure to keep an extra box of bicarbonate of soda by your cooker in case of grease or electrical fire. Scatter the powder by the handful to safely put it out.
3. Keep a container of bicarbonate of soda in your garage as well as in your car to put out a fire. It won't damage anything it touches.
4. Bicarbonate of soda will also put out fires in clothing, fuel, wood, upholstery and rugs.
5. Clean vegetables and fruit with bicarbonate of soda. Sprinkle in water, soak and rise the produce.
6. Wash waste bins with bicarbonate of soda.
7. Soak and wash nappies with bicarbonate of soda.
8. Oil and grease -- stained clothing washes out better with bicarbonate of soda added to the washing water.
9. Clean your fridge and freezer with dry bicarbonate of soda sprinkled on a damp cloth. rinse with clean water.
10. Deodorise your fridge and freezer by putting in an open container of bicarbonate of soda to absorb odors. Stir and turn over the bicarbonate of soda from time to time. Replace every 2 months.
11. Bicarbonate of soda absorbs cat litter odors. Cover the bottom of the cat box with 1 part bicarbonate of soda, then add a layer of three parts cat litter on top.
12. Always add 1/2-cup bicarbonate of soda to your washing machine load.
13. Clean combs and brushes in a bicarbonate of soda solution.
14. Wash food and drink containers with bicarbonate of soda and water.
15. Wash marble-topped furniture with a solution of 3-tablespoons of bicarbonate of soda in 1 Lt of warm water. Let stand a while, then rinse.
16. Clean formica counter tops with bicarbonate of soda on a damp sponge.
17. Wash out thermos bottles and cooling containers with bicarbonate of soda and water to get rid of stale smells.
18. To remove stubborn stains from marble, formica or plastic surfaces, scour with a paste of bicarbonate of soda and water.
19. Wash glass or stainless steel coffee pots (but not aluminum) in a bicarbonate of soda solution ( 3-tablespoons soda to 1 Lt water).
20. Run your coffee maker through its cycle with a bicarbonate of soda solution. Rinse.
21. Give baby bottles a good cleaning with bicarbonate of soda and hot water.
22. Sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on barbecue grills, let soak, then rinse off.
23. Sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on greasy garage floor. Let stand, scrub and rinse.
24. Polish silverware with dry bicarbonate of soda on a damp cloth. Rub, rinse and dry.
25. For silver pieces without raised patterns or cemented-on handles: place the silver on aluminum foil in an enamel pot. Add boiling water and 4 tablespoons bicarbonate of soda. Let stand, rinse and dry.
26. Reduce odour build-up in your dishwasher by sprinkling some bicarbonate of soda on the bottom.
27. Run your dishwasher through its cycle with bicarbonate of soda in it instead of soap to give it a good cleaning.
28. To remove burned-on food from a pan, let the pan soak in bicarbonate of soda and water for 10 minutes before washing. Or scrub the pot with dry bicarbonate of soda and a moist scouring pad.
29. For a badly-burned pan with a thick layer of burned-on food: pour a thick layer of bicarbonate of soda directly onto the bottom of the pan, then sprinkle on just enough water so as to moisten the bicarbonate of soda. Leave the pot overnight, then scrub it clean next day.
30. Rub stainless steel and chrome with a moist cloth and dry bicarbonate of soda to shine it up. Rinse and dry. On stainless steel, scrub in the direction of the grain.
31. Clean plastic, porcelain and glass with dry bicarbonate of soda on a damp cloth. Rinse and dry.
32. Remove that bad smell from ashtrays with bicarbonate of soda and water.
33. Sprinkle a bit of dry bicarbonate of soda in your ashtrays to prevent smoldering and reduce odor.
34. Clean your bathroom with dry bicarbonate of soda on a moist sponge -- sink, bath, tiles, shower cubicle, etc.
35. Keep your drains clean and free-flowing by putting 4 tablespoons of bicarbonate of soda in them each week. Flush the soda down with hot water.
36. Soak your shower curtains in water and bicarbonate of soda to clean them.
37. To remove strong odors from your hands, wet your hands and rub them hard with bicarbonate of soda, then rinse.
38. Sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on your wet toothbrush and brush your teeth or dentures with it.
39. Sprinkle bicarbonate of soda in tennis shoes, socks, boots and slippers to eliminate odor.
40. Add 1/2-cup or more of bicarbonate of soda to your bath water to soften your skin.
41. Putting 2-tablespoons of bicarbonate of soda in your baby's bath water will help relieve nappy rash irritations.
42. Apply bicarbonate of soda directly to insect bites, rashes and stings to relieve discomfort. Make a paste with water.
43. Take a bicarbonate of soda bath to relieve general skin irritations such as measles and chicken pox.
44. Take 1/2-teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in one-half glass of water to relieve acid indigestion or heartburn.
45. Gargle with 1/2-teaspoon bicarbonate of soda in one-half glass of water. Freshens and cleans your mouth.
46. Used as a mouthwash, bicarbonate of soda will also relieve canker sore pain.
47. To relieve sunburn: use a paste of bicarbonate of soda and water.
48. Insect bites: use a poultice of bicarbonate of soda and vinegar.
49. Bee sting: use a poultice of bicarbonate of soda and water.
50. Windburns: moisten some bicarbonate of soda and apply directly.
51. Making Play Clay with bicarbonate of soda: combine 1 1/4 cups water, 2 cups bicarbonate of soda, 1 cup cornflour.
52. Use bicarbonate of soda as an underarm deodorant.
53. If your baby spits up on his shirt after feeding, moisten a cloth, dip it in bicarbonate of soda and dab at the dribbled shirt. The odor will go away.
54. When scalding a chicken, add 1-teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda to the boiling water. The feathers will come off easier and flesh will be clean and white.
55. Repel rain from windscreen. Put gobs of bicarbonate of soda on a dampened cloth and wipe windows inside and out.
56. Add bicarbonate of soda to water to soak dried beans to make them more digestible.
57. Add bicarbonate of soda to water to remove the "gamey" taste from wild game.
58. Use bicarbonate of soda to sweeten sour dishcloths.
59. Use bicarbonate of soda dry with a small brush to rub canvas handbags clean.
60. Use to remove melted plastic bread wrapper from toaster. Dampen cloth and make a mild abrasive with bicarbonate of soda.
61. To eliminate dog odors or just freshen up the air, sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on your carpet where your dog lies and vaccuum up. Leave the bicarbonate of soda on the carpet for half an hour. It also eliminates odor in your vaccuum after it has been vaccuumed up. A great way to freshen up your home air during the winter when everything is closed up.